Many thanks to all my readers who took part in the survey of Top Ten Speculative Novels for young adults to read.
The results were wildly inconclusive, which seems to mean that just because a group of readers all love one or more books, they don’t necessarily love all the same books!
It was necessary to skew the numbers a little to arrive at a list, but here they are:
- The Lord of the Rings trilogy, J.R.R. Tolkien
- Ender’s Game, Orson Scott Card
- Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury
- Dune, Frank Herbert
- Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
- Doomsday Book, Connie Willis
- Beggars in Spain, Nancy Kress
- Dragonriders of Pern, Anne McCaffrey
- 1984, George Orwell
- The Forge of God, Greg Bear
I’d like to add: Sharyn November’s three young adult anthologies belong in every high school and public library: Firebirds , Firebirds Rising, and Firebirds Soaring. Sharyn is the premier editor of young adult fantasy and science fiction working today, and these are exciting collections.